Philadelphia Sports Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2015 1:05 pm  #21

Re: Holy Shit! This is EVEN WORSE That Any Of Us Could Have Imagined

Howard is right now having his best season since 2011, and he looks better at the plate too. His OBP is still low, but his ISO (slugging%-BA) is it's highest since 2009, so he's doing it with power. I think pitchers are going to adjust by throwing him more junk off the plate if they haven't started already. I think his hot stretch could end soon, but I'm enjoying it right now. I don't think he's done it long enough for another team to want to trade for him, yet. 

5/23/2015 4:54 pm  #22

handz,

Absolutely agree with you.  He'll cool off and then you could get a bag of unpopped popcorn for him.  Trade him NOW for 2 fresh hot dogs.

Ruin Tomorrow thinks this will last for three years...

Last edited by phoggy (5/23/2015 4:55 pm)

6/01/2015 6:19 pm  #23

This team is likely the worse team in the majors BY FAR and it will play out that way by year's end.

How can anyone watch this?

How is it that in 6-7 years we've had NO ONE come through the farm system that is any good?  No starting pitchers, no positioin players, this is awful.

6/01/2015 7:49 pm  #24

pan,

The malaise is rampant throughout the organization.  now Franco has it.  He needs to know he can just relax because he isn't going anywere.  Schmidt hit .186 his first year.  Let the kid relax.

And the Big Piece of Shyt is cooling off so we can get a used jock strap for him instead of a nice hot dog.  how the phuck is Revere still here?  Apparently it was Rube the Boob backed out not the Angels.

Hamels won't get crap since the A's are going nowhere so they sell immediately.

Can we say PHUCKED by Rube the Boob...

6/01/2015 11:35 pm  #25

Be Revere is one guy I would keep Phoggy. He's young. Is lightening fast and a potential 300 hitter and good lead off guy. Maybe he sucks this year but I wouldn't be so quick to give up on him.

6/01/2015 11:39 pm  #26

Amaro has to go.....sooner or later they're gonna realize that. It's now become much more than just his ability to sign players. He actually is now demoralizing the fan base and making everyone feel it is pointless to even follow the Phillies since they will never be any good as long as he's around.

That lowers attendance. Getting rid of him would reenergize the fans....maybe for a bit at least.

6/02/2015 7:49 pm  #27

max,

I think you get more with Herrara.  Revere does not have the arm for RF.  They need to get rid of him for a nice young prospect.

But then RtB will be doing the dealing...

6/05/2015 1:53 pm  #28

I don't want to give up on Hererra any time soon, but it's clear he has a lot to work on. He's got the 3rd highest K% and 2nd lowest BB% of all qualifying centerfielders. He strikes out like a slugger but has power like, well, Ben Revere. On the bright side for this year, Revere is a better corner OF than he is a CF. Say what you will about his arm but he gets to way more balls than most corner OFs would and gets better reads than he does in center. 

I would be fine with trading Revere though, provided they get something reasonable for him. 

The draft is in 3 days and nobody seems to have any clue how the board is going to shake out. What we do know is, by next week, the Phils will have a new top prospect that will probably slot in right behind Crawford, Franco and Nola. 

I don't have anything other than suspicion telling me this, but I think the Phillies have already decided, and Amaro is aware, that he'll be reassigned to some other spot in the front office after this season (his contract is up) and they'll bring in a new GM. But I don't know how much things will change with a new GM, knowing how this team does business. 

6/05/2015 6:08 pm  #29

Handz,

Nice post.  read this blog on the Astros thinking trade with the Phils. and look who is the trade bait from the Stro's.

Rube the Boob would phuck this up...

http://climbingtalshill.com/2015/05/30/houston-astros-lets-make-a-trade-with-the-phillies/

6/06/2015 4:28 pm  #30

Hand!

Seems the Phils will take anothe college pitcher in the draft unless Stephenson falls to them.  i'd take him over another. Collegiate pitcher.  you may have to wait three years but if he turns out you have your catcher for adecade.

The again Rube the Boob has never met a bum arm he hasn't coveted...

6/07/2015 12:00 pm  #31

Santana would be an interesting return for Harang. On the one hand, he could easily be one of those guys who strikes out too much to really get to his power in the majors. From what I remember while he was with the Phillies, his OF defense should be at least decent. It wouldn't surprise me if different teams had very different evaluations on his future potential; I'm not sure if the 'Stros would give him up for Harang. I know Morgan Ensberg wouldn't:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/05/morgan-ensberg-on-giving-up-certain-astros-prospects-for-cole-hamels-id-quit/

I'd be fine with Stephenson too but I wouldn't necessarily be upset at a college pitcher either. Just take whoever they think is best, which is the approach that Almanaz says he favors. 

http://philliesminorthoughts.com/mlb-draft-preview-part-3-everyone-is-mocking-the-draft/

6/07/2015 9:06 pm  #32

Handz,

If they go college then another Nola type would suffice. Funkhouser if he's on the board. We'd have to name him Phunkhouser.

Bring on the Phunk!  Boggie Nights at CPB.  Play a little George Clinton and Parliment and boogie down with the Phunk...

Last edited by phoggy (6/08/2015 7:39 pm)

6/08/2015 9:27 pm  #33

Handz,

I don't get the pick at all.  i know the kid could be a decent thitter but there where better bats available.  Maybe that he can play 2B has something to do with it.

Utley Part Deux...

6/09/2015 12:48 pm  #34

I hadn't heard of him until yesterday, but after reading a bit about him I can see their thinking.

Johnny Almaraz says they see him in LF, which can only mean that they love his bat. They see him as a 3 or 4 hitter. I read in a few places that he was supposedly the best pure hitter of all the high schoolers in the draft. 

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-philadelphia-phillies/johnny-almaraz-cornelius-randolph-phillies-draft-best-high-school-bat-country

Their second pick is another guy with a plus hit tool. Both guys are a departure from the kind of picks they would have made 4-5 years ago. 

6/09/2015 8:11 pm  #35

handz,

My issue is he's 4-5 YEARS away.  He turns 18 next week.  They need help now.  A solid college player would be better.  I understand taking him if you tear it down like the Astros have done but this team could add solid college players let them grow for 3 years and then supplement them through free agency.

They are not the Stro's with a limited revenue stream.  We're back to the Ed Wade days.  The reason Franco was kept down and brought up that Friday was because they got another year of control by waiting until that very day.

This is going to be a loooooooooooooooooooooong rebuild....

6/09/2015 8:14 pm  #36

handz,

How fast do you think the Phils would have brought up Mike Trout?  If he were drafted by the Phils he'd still be inAAA.  "He hasn't suffered turmoil yet."  "He has to fail so we can se how he reacts before he comes upo."  I GUARANTEE that JP Crawford will be held down until June of 20017.  just to get one more year of control.

My goodness this team has no f'n direction...

6/10/2015 11:58 am  #37

They need help now and in the future. I would have been ticked if they drafted a college guy that they didn't think was as good as Randolph just because he could get to the majors faster. Whether they blow everything up like the Astros or not, either way the team is awful and in need of stars they can build around, not just complementary pieces. I'd rather wait 4 years for another Franco than 3 years for another Asche. The 2nd rounder, Kingery, is a candidate to move fast. 

Besides, Almaraz said they may start Randolph in Williamsport. Since they're starting him in LF (which I'm not sure I agree with) and making his bat the focus, he could move pretty quickly like Crawford has.

Trout was drafted in 09 and debuted later in 2011. This time of year in 2011 he was in AA, so exactly the same level JP Crawford is, and Trout was a much better prospect. 

They're not one of the most aggressive teams promoting prospects, but idea that the Phillies hold prospects in the minors interminably is mostly a myth. Chase Utley is the best example of a guy who was in the minors too long, largely because they wasted a year trying to have him learn 3B. Howard was a late bloomer- basically a so-so prospect until he was 24 in AA and he was also blocked by Thome. Ruiz was a late bloomer too. Hamels, Rollins, Burrell, Myers, Floyd, Asche and Franco all moved pretty quickly through the minors. 

6/10/2015 8:24 pm  #38

handz,

We can agree to disagree.  the Phils are notorious for worrying about that oe more year of team control.  That is why Utley was kept down and Howard wa kept a season too loing.  you can argue Howard because he did bloom late but when he started smoking it, they worried about that one extra year.  It was also the basis for Rube the boob over reacting.  Howard knew he had ONE final contrat and the Phils were terrified he would walk.  Thus they over paid him.

All because of worrying about team control of a player for a single year longer. Ed Wade, Rube the Boob all the same person, just differnt skin...

6/11/2015 12:09 pm  #39

Of all the things the org could be bashed for in the last 10 or so years, one that stands out to me is not moving Polanco to 3B and calling up Utley. They sold low on Polanco even though he was only "blocking" Chase because they didn't realize they had a GG 3B on the team. Or they didn't realize his positives would outweigh his lack of power. Keeping Polanco would have made the Rolen trade look a lot better too; Polly was a really good player in his prime. 

I think I remember them considering Howard in LF to get him and Thome both into the lineup. No surprise that didn't happen. 

Anyway, the draft is over. Time to watch for signings. One of the HS kids that was considered a tough sign is already on board. There's some good quotes from Almaraz on the draft in here:

http://zozone.mlblogs.com/2015/06/10/phillies-draft-hitters-early-pitchers-late-analytics-throughout/

Last edited by Handzus20 (6/11/2015 12:09 pm)

6/14/2015 4:21 pm  #40

handz,

Now they send Ruf down.  I know the guy needs AB's but Utley is hitting .185 and they are still playing him.  Sit his arse down and then I'd be ok with sending Ruf down.  this is just friggin' ridiculous.  Send young guys down who are hitting better than the over the hill gang vets.

This is going to be an agoninzing rebuild...

Board footera