Philadelphia Sports Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2015 9:43 pm  #1

Holy Shit! This is EVEN WORSE That Any Of Us Could Have Imagined

We have 4 starters hitting under 200.

This isn't about being anemic - this is fucking CARTOONISH.

4/26/2015 8:43 pm  #2

Re: Holy Shit! This is EVEN WORSE That Any Of Us Could Have Imagined

Allthough Howard is on pace to hit 25 hrs.

We just won a series!@

Big whoop!!

4/26/2015 10:48 pm  #3

Today in Phils news: Severino Gonzalez will be called up to start tuesday against the Cardinals, making his ML debut. He'll probably go back to AAA after a couple starts after Chad Billingsley is sufficiently rehabbed. Taking his place (and later Billingsley's place) in the LHV rotation is once and future starting pitcher, Phillipe Aumont. 

Aumont made his first start today in, I think, 4 years. He threw 5 innings, allowed 3 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks and struck out 2, throwing just 63 pitches including 46 strikes. He lobbied the coaching staff for a chance to start if a vacancy arose. 

4/27/2015 8:16 pm  #4

handz,

They can get a bucket of used balls for Aumont.  so if he can flourish as a starte so be it.  Four of the five kids in the Reading rotation have ERA's under 3.00.  I think 3 of them are under 2.00 & one has gone two games with 2 shutouts.

Franco is killingit in AAA and the Boob just let's him sit on the farm.  Can't have him getting to Free Agency too soon!  Why not Ruin Today instead of Ruin Tomorrow...

4/28/2015 11:55 am  #5

It's good to see the Reading staff living up to the hype so far. I think Nola and Biddle could be on the move to AAA before long and the other three will probably stick in Reading for awhile. Brandon Leibrandt in Clearwater looks like he could move up to Reading after a bit. He doesn't have great stuff but he can get the A-ball guys out. 

I would do the same thing with Franco. Arbitration aside, he needs to work on his approach at the plate and be consistent with it. It's good that he's hitting but quietly the K's are creeping up and the BB's, which he had a lot of at the start of the year, aren't coming much. Besides, as long as Asche and Howard are both around he wouldn't be playing everyday in the majors and he needs ABs. 

4/28/2015 8:17 pm  #6

Handz,

Here's my solution to the Franco issue. dump Howard now.

It's sunk money anyway...

4/30/2015 6:40 pm  #7

Sandberg is a terrible manager.

/End rant.

4/30/2015 6:48 pm  #8

Handz,

Why worry about the manager when he has crap to work with every day.  We said the same about Francona.  How did that work out for us?

The Boob needs to out on a tube down the Delaware...

4/30/2015 7:08 pm  #9

To be fair to Ryne, no manager could make this roster into a playoff contender, but I firmly believe that he's part of the problem and not the solution. Sandberg is as good a manager as the 25-man roster is a baseball team. 

He stinks at lineup construction, bullpen management, he's working Diekman and De Fratus to exhaustion and his adherance to small-ball is misguided at best. I could forgive all that- after all Charlie had some of the same flaws- but I don't think he's handling the personalities on the team very well either. Counting the recent confusion with Dom Brown (and you could disagree that it's worth counting) he's up to 4 public spats with players since he took over. Joining Rollins, Buchanan and Kendrick last year. 

I just can't see an area where he's bringing something positive to the club. 

5/02/2015 3:01 pm  #10

Handz,

I don't disagree with you per se but if the club were full of kids I'd say you need someone else.  You have a team with past their prime players living off the past. There's nothing ANY manager could do about it until the GM makes some moves.  Leaving Franco in AAA is about FA not performance.  they'll leave him there until he's out of options while the Big Piece of Shyt and Utley fade off to an old age home.

The GM needs to dump Howard now.  Tell Utley it's now to perform or it's over and MOVE ON...

5/04/2015 12:03 pm  #11

I agree that the manager isn't a top priority right now on the list of things that need fixing. As long as he doesn't end up injuring any pitchers, he's just an annoyance to me. 

Slowly the team is getting younger. Yeah, Utley, Howard and Chooch are still around but between Galvis, Hererra, Buchanan, Giles and Asche there are a decent number of young players there, plus Revere and Rupp who won't see 30 for a few years. 

At this point, after the first couple weeks of the season, I think it's fair to say that Franco is scuffling. He's working on improving his approach at the plate and it's better that he does it in AAA where he can have a little success. I think if he were trying it in the majors he would be getting eaten alive and I don't see how that's productive. Arbitration is one more reason to leave him in the minors but if it were me, I wouldn't call him up until July at the earliest. 

5/10/2015 8:10 pm  #12

handz,

He's batting .336 with 3 HR & 12 doubles.  He's better defensively than Asche so why is he still in AAA? Who on this putrid teamis a better hitter than he is at this time?

Rube the Boob figures he can Ruin Today as well as Ruin Tomorrow...

5/11/2015 12:01 pm  #13

I'm more concerned with his own development than I am with how much better or more watchable he would make the big league team. He may be better than Asche right now, but sadly that's not saying much. The good news is that it seems like he's showing fairly consistent improvement. 

http://philliesminorthoughts.com/maikel-franco-going-the-other-way/

On the other hand, I think it's time that Aaron Nola moved up to AAA and, maybe after a few starts there, to the majors. He's made 11 starts in AA between this year and last and looks like he's starting to dominate at that level. I think the Phillies may wait until they can trade one of the starters before he gets the call up. 

5/11/2015 7:39 pm  #14

handz,

I'll disagree with you on the Franco move.  It's ALL about free agency.  We're back to the Ed Wade days of keeping guys down on the farm to get an extra year of holding rights.

The team blows.  The Phils would have kept Mike Trout on the farm for 5 years....

5/12/2015 1:04 pm  #15

Either way, with Asche going down to AAA, it looks like Franco's arrival could be sooner than later. Like I said, I would leave him down for a bit but it does seem like he's come a decent way with his approach from the start of the year. He seems set to debut and stick at 22 which is perfectly reasonable for a prospect like him.

5/12/2015 9:07 pm  #16

Yea, it looks like I'm getting my wish.  Now dump the Big Piece of Shyt, tell Utley he's not getting to 500 AB's for his vesting option nextbyear and start moving the other guys.

now prepare for the draft...

5/18/2015 5:13 pm  #17

Well guys there was a right-handed pitcher for that last Arizona game and the manager sat down BOTH Utley and Howard (and Ruiz).

How long do you guys suspect it'll take?

I am AGAINST moving Hamels as we NEED pitching.

With the Rockies up next, and our best 2 pitchers slated to go back to back, is a 7 game streak inconceivable?

5/18/2015 9:10 pm  #18

Pan,

It's nice to see the team coming together a bit.  I'm impressed the kids are coming to play.  The Big piece of Shyt has gotten the message.  trade him asap.  Utley looks shot. You can platoon him but he needs to understand that results count.

Let Franco, Herrara, Galvis, Hernazdez play through thick and thin. and ship Ruin tomorrow out today...

5/19/2015 12:50 pm  #19

Just when I was starting to doubt him, Utley's been doing better his last 8-9 games. Hopefully he keeps it up. Howard has looked like a reasonable facsimile of his old self lately. It could end at any time but it's a welcome sight. And it might raise his trade value too. 

Galvis' adjustments and the season he's having so far are beyond impressive. He's been one of the best SS's in all of baseball. I don't know how long it will last, but it's great to see. 

5/19/2015 7:34 pm  #20

Handz,

The Big Pile is getting hot so trade him for a couple of hot dogs if they can get that much. do it asap.
Utley needs to understand he will NOT see the 500 plate appearances for the vesting option. so he can decide to accept and play based on performance or waive his no trade.

Finally, ship Amaro to ISIS since he likes to ruin everything. Ruin Today as well as Tomorrow...

Board footera