Philadelphia Sports Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2013 9:42 pm  #1

It's Up to the Blowpen

Papelbon gets it started with a single to right to lead things off.

7/08/2013 9:43 pm  #2

Re: It's Up to the Blowpen

GET HIM OUT RIGHT NOW.

7/08/2013 9:43 pm  #3

One out but they should get him out. He's throwing some bad pitches.

Last edited by maxaman25 (7/08/2013 9:44 pm)

7/08/2013 9:44 pm  #4

I changed my signature just for tonight!

7/08/2013 9:46 pm  #5

They should get him the hell out of there immediately. The pitches he's throwing this game could be lost with one swing of the bat.

7/08/2013 9:46 pm  #6

Those sac flies can serve as real rally killers.  3-1 now.  1 out, man on 3rd.  He can still blow it.

Remember,  Papelbon CHOKES BEST when he has 2 outs and 2 strikes on a hitter.  Fun fact of the day.

7/08/2013 9:49 pm  #7

GAME OVER!

JOHN LANNAN 8 scorless innings!

It looks like it's coming together.

Good night you guys.

7/08/2013 9:51 pm  #8

Ok so both runners PREDICTABLY scored.  It is Papelbon, after all.

We got the win, but look at all the damage and momentum loss that was created by our bullpen.  Our closer SUCKS, he just does and nothing Handzus says is going to change that OTHER THAN this choker allowing us to win games that don't cause momentum shifts against us.

That's one down.  2 more to go and then we can OFFICIALLY be on our way.

7/08/2013 9:52 pm  #9

If Bowa were still the manager, some of these guys in the bullpen would have been killed by him.  I think the game has passed by Charlie, but I do feel for him when he doesn't know what the blowpen is capable of night to night.  A win is a win, though.  I hold to my theory that what the Phils need to do is go .600 in division and WC is possible.

7/08/2013 9:54 pm  #10

I don't think that's a momentum killer pan. A win is a win is a win.

And keep in mind even lidge did shit like that all the time even when he went the whole year without a blown save.

The 3 toughest outs in baseball are the last three and the Nats had some good hitters up in the 9th.

7/08/2013 10:42 pm  #11

panamcail wrote:

Ok so both runners PREDICTABLY scored.  It is Papelbon, after all.

We got the win, but look at all the damage and momentum loss that was created by our bullpen.  Our closer SUCKS, he just does and nothing Handzus says is going to change that OTHER THAN this choker allowing us to win games that don't cause momentum shifts against us.

Derp. After tonight his ERA skyrockets to a totally unacceptable-according-to-pan 2.27. Also, every save situation is a do or die, must have, season changing save, unless Papelbon closes it out, it in which case it's just another game. 

Don't you guys wish we still had Jose Mesa instead?

7/09/2013 4:27 pm  #12

You missed the point Handz.  Mesa was not being paid a ZILLION dollars.

Papelbon is not a good closer.  Moreover, ERA for a closer is not the best indicator for how good he is.  Otherwise Bastardo would be considered good and his last 2 appearances notwithstanding, he sucks too.

7/09/2013 8:27 pm  #13

Whatever metric you want to go by, Papelbon is an excellent closer. Unlike Bastardo and the other relievers, the closer seldom comes into a game with runners on base, so ERA is a better indicator for him than others. You don't have to think about how often he lets inherited runners score.

Papelbon's WHIP is .90 for the year, which is 12th in all of baseball for pitchers with at least 30 innings. You act like he allows baserunners left and right. 

Yes, he's being overpayed. There's no reliever who should be getting as much money as Papelbon is, but that's Rube's fault. There's basically nothing more Papelbon could do to "earn" his contract more.

If you would just say you don't like Papelbon as a person, I would actually understand that. There's no shortage of fans who don't like his personality. But to say he's not a good pitcher is insanity. He's probably been the best closer in baseball since he took over the role, outside of Mariano.

7/09/2013 8:31 pm  #14

No dude, he sucks.  It has nothing to do with his personality.

Those 2 runs he gave up yesterday is INDICATIVE of just how good he is NOT.

He blew 4 of 5 saves in 8 days a couple of weeks ago.

He choked away a series SWEEP of Washington last time they were here.  He is not very good.

7/09/2013 8:40 pm  #15

Your comment makes no sense. I'm not going to mention how ridiculous it is to say "he had a bad week that one time" like it's evident of anything, but I'll remind you that the defense was more responsible than Papelbon was for at least 2 of them.

7/09/2013 9:41 pm  #16

Well, let's see what Paps does tonight...

7/09/2013 9:43 pm  #17

Wow, Bastardo instead. Hmmmmmm....

7/09/2013 9:44 pm  #18

phoggy wrote:

Well, let's see what Paps does tonight...

Or the Bastard

7/09/2013 9:45 pm  #19

Why is Bastardo pitching this inning?

Is it a message to Papelbon?

7/09/2013 9:46 pm  #20

Who didn't know that once the count went to 3 balls that this was an AUTOMATIC WALK?

Board footera